Friday, April 4, 2014

Why I'm Mad at Phyllis Sommer

Phyllis Sommer is a bad friend.  There, I've said it.  Though she has, for the past ten years that I've been in the rabbinate been a loving colleague and confidant, she has simply gone too far.

I mean, would a friend make me look beyond myself to recognize that there are those in my inner circle who are facing hardship and pain?

Would a friend burden me by introducing me to seventy other like-minded people, and intertwining my life, my interests, and my passions with theirs?

Would a friend compel me to support legislation like the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act, when I'm inclined to be blasé about politics?

Would a friend want me to sit in front of my computer, heartbroken and weeping, as I read stories of kids like Zach and Rebecca and Sam and Jessie and countless others?

Would a friend involve me in a crazy endeavor to change my hairstyle, believing that in so doing we could perhaps change the world?

No way- a "true" friend would have allowed me to go on with my life, content to have us touch base once or twice a year, and never would have interfered with my social conscience.

So I'm mad at Phyllis Sommer.  She's a bad friend.  And the world needs many, many more just like her.


(P.S. I'm also mad at Michael Sommer.  Rebecca Einstein Schorr, in that vein, I'm furious with you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please note that I reserve the right to remove inappropriate or offensive comments. Hopefully, your remarks do not fall into either of these categories.