Friday, October 25, 2019

Introducing #Torahsong/ Closer to Fine- Bereisheet

Welcome!

For 5780, I’m working on a different look at Torah.  Inspired by a concept put forth by my friend and classmate Rabbi Eric Goldberg, I’m introducing #Torahsong.  Each week, I hope to post a pop song that (to me) has some connection to make us think about the weekly parsha.  You’ll get some insights into my (sometimes strange or eclectic) musical tastes, and hopefully learn something about the parsha as well.  There might even be a pun thrown in for good measure.

Please note, I do not own-- nor do I claim to own-- these songs.  Copyrights are held by the various artists.  I include them here for illustrative purposes.

Closer to Fine (Bereisheet- Genesis 1:1 to 6:8)
Music and lyrics by Amy Saliers, from the album "Indigo Girls" (Epic, 1989)


Parashat Bereisheet contains many stories, beginning with the narrative of the creation of the world.  In the day-by-day account of God's work in creation, God reviews the sum of each day's work and pronounces it "good" (on the third day, God actually pronounces two things good: the division of land and sea, and the creation of vegetation).  The exception comes with the creation of humanity.  God never declares that human beings are "good."  A madras (rabbinic story) later explains that this is because humans are not a finished creation.  We still must learn and adapt and grow in order to rise to our highest capacity and achieve our highest blessing.

Thus we strive to become ever-closer to God, to become closer to being worthy of called "good" (or at least, "fine," to engage in the calling l'taken slam b'malchut Shaddai, to work in partnership with God to perfect the world in the manner that God has envisioned.

What is the path toward achieving this goal?  Well, "There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line.  And the less I seek my source for some definitive the closer I am to fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please note that I reserve the right to remove inappropriate or offensive comments. Hopefully, your remarks do not fall into either of these categories.