Wednesday, January 8, 2020

VaYechi: May I Suggest...

Parashat VaYechi is the final portion in the book of Genesis.  There is much in the portion about legacies and preparations for old age: Jacob blesses his grandsons, Ephraim and Manasseh, in addition to offering blessings to his own children.  We read of his death and burial, and the mourning period that follows.  Ultimately, we read the details of Joseph's death as well.

The manner in which Jacob imparts blessings (which, in many places, also serve as calls to action) inspired the custom of creating ethical wills.  In these documents, one can communicate instructions, hopes, and dreams for future generations.

Jacob's life has not always been easy (many would argue that his troubles are of his own making, but that's a conversation for a different time).  Even with the promise of God's protection, he has weathered quite a few challenges.  In last week's parasha, VaYigash, Jacob met with Pharaoh as he arrived in Egypt and told him, "Few and hard have been the years of my life..." (Genesis 47:9).  As he has aged, Jacob has become a bit more introspective and views his many (mis?)adventures as having hindered him from leading a full life.  His final comments to his sons seem designed to recast his life's story once and for all and to offer guidance in the hopes that his children may avoid some of the pitfalls that he experienced.

We've seen the themes of blessing and legacy run throughout Jacob's life and throughout the entire patriarchal story.  The combination of love and anguish and fear and hope-- sometimes articulated and sometimes only tacitly expressed-- that parents impart to their children are filled with beauty and meaning.

I first heard this song performed by Dan Nichols at a concert sometime around 2011, and found it to be one of the most exquisitely beautiful and prayerful pieces of poetry I've ever experienced.  I approached Dan afterward and told him that it expressed the very sentiments I hoped to articulate to our son when he celebrated his Bar Mitzvah; in 2018 we were honored to have Dan perform it for that occasion.  The original composer and artist is Susan Werner; while I thank her for her poetry, I still think Dan's version is best.

In my mind's eye, I can hear and see Jacob expressing these very thoughts to his children as they gather around his bed during his final moments.  I can even imagine the voices of the other patriarchs and matriarchs echoing the same ideas:
"There is a hope
That's been expressed in you
The hope of seven generations, maybe more
And this is the faith
That they invest in you
It's that you'll do one better than was done before
Inside you know
Inside you understand
Inside you know what's yours to finally set right
And I suggest
And I suggest to you
And I suggest this is the best part of your life"


Please note, I do not own-- nor do I claim to own-- these songs.  Copyrights are held by the various artists.  I include them here for illustrative purposes.
May I Suggest- (VaYechi, Genesis 47:28-50:26)

Music and lyrics by Susan Werner, performed by Dan Nichols.  From the album "Road to Eden (Music Inspired by the Film)," Dan Nichols and Eighteen, 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please note that I reserve the right to remove inappropriate or offensive comments. Hopefully, your remarks do not fall into either of these categories.